Media Sector Licensing

Media Sector Licensing

Download Now: FREE GST 2023 GuidebookDownload Now: FREE Employment Pass ChecklistDownload Now: Free Incorporation Checklist

The media sector refers to the group of organisations which are involved in the distribution of information through a wide array of forms, inclusive of radio services, commercial printing, television and more.

Quick Facts

The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) is the statutory body responsible for broadcasting and content regulation and the primary applicable legislation is the IMDA Act and the Broadcasting Act. IMDA is a statutory board of the Singapore government, under the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI).

Types of Licenses  

With different types of media, there exists specific licenses that are required to operate them. Below are all the forms of media in which licenses are required, to find out the specific license required for you, click on your respective media type and fill out a brief survey to find out accordingly.

Common Examples

How to Obtain a Radio Service License

In order to operate a radio service in Singapore, it is a requirement to have a radio service license. The estimated processing time through an online application for the license can take up to 35 days.  

When applying for the license, the following supporting documents and information must be provided:  

  • The shareholding structure of the company

This is applicable in the case that the company is a public entity.

  • Memorandum and Articles of Association
  • The organizational structure of the company
  • Business activities
  • Business plan
  • Projected financial statements
  • Program positioning

This is inclusive of the branding, characteristics of the radio station and the description of the market reach.

  • Listenership details

This is inclusive of target audience and average listenership.

  • Programming guidelines

This is inclusive of internal standards for advertising and programs.

  • Program grid

This is inclusive of transmission hours per week and genres.

  • Technical specification

This is inclusive of details on the intended technology that is to be used to deliver the service, sites of transmission as well as geographic coverage.

  • Strategic partnership

This is inclusive of the roles of each partner, their contributions and track records.

How to Obtain a Publishing Service License

When carrying out publishing services for publishing or printing local periodicals, or even distributing or selling offshore newspapers, a newspaper permit is required. The estimated processing time for the application of this permit is 15 days.  

When submitting an application for the following license, the supporting documents required are:

  • *Relevant for offshore newspapers

A bank guarantee and special conditions will be stated.

  • *Relevant for newspaper published and printed in Malaysia

A Kementarian Dalam Negeri (KDN) Permit with the expiry date exceeding 3 months relative to the date of the application. A Permit Agent Form may also be required.

  • Letter of Authorization
  • Mock-up/Sample copy of newspaper

This is relevant for following genres of newspaper: Entertainment/leisure magazines, tourist guides, news magazines, lifestyle magazines, women's/men's magazines, In-flight entertainment magazines and newspapers.  

  • *In the case that the Chief Editor or applicant is a foreigner employed or residing in Singapore

A scanned copy of the Foreign Identification Number (FIN) document and passport.

  • 2 copies of each of the 3 most recent issues of the newspaper

This is also relevant for newspapers that have been published and printed in Malaysia applying for a new application.

How to Obtain a Television Service License

For those looking to provide television services specifically to niche market segments, it is a requirement to obtain the niche television service license. The estimated processing time for this license can take up to 35 days. It is important to ensure that you have a CorpPass account prior to making the application.

When applying for the license, the following supporting documents and information must be provided:

  • Business file report from ACRA
  • Business proposal
  • Curriculum vitae of key management personnel

Sprout With Us!

Sprout offers professional corporate services to help guide your company in the right direction with the help of our team of experts. Take a look at our budget-friendly corporate secretarial packages to allow us manage and store your corporate documents to ensure a seamless licensing process. Feel free to contact us with any of your queries, we’ll respond within 24 hours.