Applying For Dependant's Pass For My Family

Applying For Dependant's Pass For My Family

Download Now: FREE GST 2023 GuidebookDownload Now: FREE Employment Pass ChecklistDownload Now: Free Incorporation Checklist

Congratulations! You've got your Employment Pass in hand (or it's in the process), and you're relocating to beautiful Singapore. You're probably asking yourself the important questions about family now. "How do I bring my spouse? What about my kids? Do I have to leave my parents at home, or can I get a pass for them?"

Don't worry, we’ll answer all your questions! We know it's overwhelming organising all these things after setting up your Employment Pass, and maybe even relocating your company. In this post, you'll find out exactly:

  • What is a Dependant's Pass?
  • Who is eligible?
  • How to apply for a Dependant Pass in Singapore?

What is a Dependant's Pass?

A Dependant's Pass (DP) is a "relocation visa issued to selected family members of Employment Pass, S Pass, EntrePass or Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holders." The DP is a visitor pass, not a work visa, unlike your Employment Pass. But, of course, your family members may also apply for an Employment or S Pass and then work in Singapore.

As long as your work visa is valid, any DPs remain valid. Anyone with a valid DP may “live, enter, and leave Singapore” as often as they want. There are no extra or separate entry/exit visas or forms required.

Who is Eligible for a Dependant's Pass?

If you, as a valid work visa holder (Employment Pass, S Pass, EntrePass, or PEP holder), earn a minimum of S$6,000, your legally married spouse and unmarried children under 21 are eligible. This rule applies to birth children or legally adopted children.

Now, what happens if you have a baby while working in Singapore? It is advised that the hospital provides “a Notification of Live Birth and Advisory Note from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA)”. With this legal document, you’ll register the birth certificate. The birth certificate is a 6-week “Special Pass” while you apply for a passport for your newborn.

How to Apply?

Employment Pass and S Pass holders may submit DP applications online or manually. The manual option is required for DP applications of EntrePass or Personalised Employment Pass holders. Each application is filed separately for the individual family member by the person's employer with the Singapore work visa.

These are some documents for your application(s):

  • Dependant's Pass application form completed
  • Photocopy of the applicant's passport page for each child
  • Official marriage, birth, or adoption certificate
  • Any education details (if applicable)
  • Singapore school enrolment details (if applicable)
  • Most recent employment salary details (if applicable)

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) reminds us that the applications are separate but may be submitted together. Usually, the results all return about the same time, too, in about 3 – 5 weeks. Also, note that the parent, not the child, signs applications for children under 16.

What about non-English documentation? Applicants should translate any official documents in your native language to English with a certified translator and submit it along with the original documents.

Additional Tips

Collecting the DP is always in Singapore itself. MOM explains that you'll know it's time to collect it when you've received a renewal letter in the mail.

To collect your DP(s) you’ll need:

  • The In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter
  • Passport (your/your child's)
  • If the IPA letter lists any required documents, bring these too. Other documents may be requested by MOM on a case-by-case basis

MOM recommends beginning the renewal process “up 6 months before it expires.” Note that Employment Pass and EntrePass holders should start the renewal process “3 months before the pass expires”. The renewal documents are mailed to you by post. As soon as you get the renewal forms, apply for the renewals.

You're well on your way to completing the necessary steps to relocate your family and start living together in Singapore. If you haven't applied for your Employment Pass yet, you may simultaneously apply for yourself and your family members. Keep in mind, though, if your Employment Pass is denied, the DPs will be too. Dependant’s Passes are a fantastic way to keep your family together.

Let Sprout guide you through your application!

The employment pass is a fantastic way to enter Singapore. Although there are many requirements, you will also enjoy many perks and benefits of working in Singapore.

At Sprout, we can help foreigners who are looking to start a business in Singapore apply for an employment pass, dependant’s passes and be there with you at every step of the process.